I was just flicking through some files and found a nice little check list from a course run by the University of Bern in the about 2004. It’s a fantastic reminder of the fundamentals of dental treatment planning.
- Treat oral disease as an opportunistic infection.
- Eliminate and control infection.
- Obtain and maintain health before aesthetics.
- Classify chewing elements according to prognosis.
- Follow a sequence of treatment phases.
- Satisfy the patients needs for aesthetics and function.
- Consider shortened dental arches (Kayser).
- Increase chewing comfort in the premolar region.
- Diagnose continually during maintenance.
- Render interceptive supportive care.